Saturday, December 3, 2011

Living in Varanasi

So yesterday, was the first day-off work, since about two months. And, I am pretty pretty pretty sure, it was one of the best days of this year. There were many memorable instances of this year but yesterday was one I would remember for a long long while.

After eons I sat down with a book and refills of hot chocolate from about 3pm to midnight. While the entire city was out celebrating the 40th birthday of our nation, I celebrated in my own fashion, and without a single regret of wasting my only holiday in half-an year by spending at home. The thing that kept me going on, inspite of a bad cold and sore eyes was Chetan Bhagat. Oh, I must admit, being an avid reader, nothing....no-one transports me to another world as much as he can.

Revolution 2020, or R2020, is the story of three friends, a love triangle and in the midst of this passionate tale of young love, grows a revolution. The intertwining of two radical ideas to make a plot and the completely unexpected end made it almost impossible for me to do anything else even if I did decide to take a break from the book. The pining which the protagonist (can't be termed so till almost the last chapter) has for the leading lady of the novel, will give anyone a different angle on the idea of love, and maybe some false expectations too.
And the lines which I do not wish to forget for a long time, and have already read about 20 odd times.... "Once upon a time, I was Keshav - sweet, innocent and unaware of the world. Maybe the Keshav hasn't died, I told myself. Maybe that innocent, good part of us never dies - we just trample upon it for a while."

I woke up this morning feeling absolutely different, so different I really am finding it difficult to even express it here. With two hours of an environmental awareness meeting and designing/marketing throughout the day, I somehow still did everything at a superficial level, my mind was completely in Varanasi, infact Varanasi and an engineering college seemed more real to me than my actual life. I have come to understand that I not only read his books, I live them, literally...live them!

Though I completely understand that this post has little or no focus, but after a few midnight messaging sessions, which carried on throughout the day, in a frantic hunt of at least one person who had read the book, to discuss its events and ideas, and utterly failing, I realized I had to vent out in one way or another.....hence the blog. After all, I couldn't spend another day with no productive outcome and was compelled to write this so I can spend tomorrow where I wake up and not in Varanasi.

*Sigh*

1 comment:

  1. If a book has inspired you to write an entire blog,i guess your blog definitely inspires me hasten up my planning-to-actually reading the book!!However what struck me on a bigger note is your writing style...definitely gone a long way ahead i must say...so kudos girll!!It's simple,elicit,imaginable...and more importantly one of the few neat and clean blogs written that i have come across atleast in the recent past.So well done again...and yea will definitely bother to bug you when i'm done with the book...afteral fans aur critics ka HAK to banta hi hain na!! ;-)) Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete